Saturday, February 26, 2011

Route 6; Why Me?

I was 14 when I bought my first "Lets Go USA," a packet of highlighters and a fold-out map of the Lower 48.  As a non-driving teenager, I probably spent a good 50 - 100 hours designing a cross-country itinerary; one that would take me to each and every state in order to drench myself in the culture, history and NOWness of all parts of my country.  In the ensuing years, I'd move from the New York area to tiny Amherst, MA (UMass), Nacagdoches, TX (SFA University) and Houston, TX before coming back home to Connecticut.

I never lost the driving/exploring bug, though, and applied it to magazine and newspaper travel writing.  But though I've written hundreds of articles, and traveled tens of thousands of miles both here and abroad, I've never embarked upon that much yearned for cross-country trip.  My kids have flown the coop, I'm relatively young and healthy.  So, it's time.  See you on Route 6!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here: