Monday, July 11, 2011

Dodging Disasters on US Route 6


Last month, I drove 3,652 miles from Provincetown, MA to Long Beach, CA on the longest contiguous federal highway in the United States - US Route 6.  For months, I contemplated the logistics of the drive, and though I was eager and excited to journey alone, I did harbor some concerns.

As a travel writer, I'm very comfortable going solo.  Being a woman without an entourage didn't bother me in the least (though I never advertised that fact on this blog). I never drove at night, booked either B&B's or safe hotels and was generally aware of precautions to take.

But I know that Mother Nature is not as predictable as Human Nature.  She can whirl a deadly tornado or swell a river without a moment's notice, and so the following were the Natural Disasters I was lucky enough to avoid as I made my way across the country in nothing more than a piece of tin on wheels;

Aftermath of Freak Hurricane, Summer 2010
Stamford, CT
Hurricanes: These were the least of my worries, as I was burrowing inland West of Cape Cod.  And anyway, most East Coast hurricanes occur in August/September.

Floods: Unprecedented flooding, especially in the Midwest, was big news when I left my home in on May 20th.  I carefully watched flood reports in Council Bluffs/Omaha and heard that some roads there might be off-limits.  Though I did witness rising water levels, I did not have to divert my own course.

Tornados; Fear of twisters kept me glued to the Weather Channel after a monster tornado took out most of Joplin, MO, two days into my Route 6 journey. As I approached Western Illinois and particularly in Iowa and the "tornado alley" of Nebraska, I became a TOR-CON (Tornado Condition) expert - assessing the possibility of a storm bad enough to spawn super cells and twisters. Fortunately, when bad (but not deadly) weather hit, it was usually during the night or before or after I got on the road.

Landslides/Falling Rocks;  I had nightmares of boulders cascading onto my car as I drove through canyons and alongside mountain cliffs, especially on I70 in Glenwood Canyon where it's happened before.  Fortunately, nary a pebble bounced onto my windshield, and the roads were free and clear of fallen rocks.


Earthquakes; This has been a seismically active season in the Pacific basin, and so it wasn't such a big leap to conjure up images of tumbling roadways and buildings in Southern California.  Good thing the earth did not move for me while I hung out in Los Angeles for just over a day.

Now that I'm home, I won't have to run the weather gauntlet until my next road trip (which won't be for awhile; a lame way of saying, I have no idea when), but I do intend to absorb and process all of my great experiences across the country and will write about them from time to time.  In the meantime, read past blogs and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here: